Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Prices by Amazon

Ok, how come the price of my text book is £157.51 on Amazon?  Even I have to say "don't buy it!" at this price.  Instead, you can pay £43.06 at, er, Amazon here for the same product.  Obviously computers aren't yet perfect and I'd be interested to know how Amazon calculates the higher price.  (Prices correct when this blog was written.  These links won't last forever.)

I tend to think book prices are high but I look back at a text book I bought back in 1974, which seemed expensive at the time at £7.20.  The UK retail price index has risen since then by approximately nine times, so in today's money it would be about £64.80.  So it was fairly expensive but it was a hardback edition.  With improved manufacturing technology you would expect books to get relatively cheaper in price over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment